Sunday, September 21, 2008

It's Time for Soup!

I love soup even during the summer months. I participated in a craft show at the Lake this summer and to fill in my table space, I sold soup in 32 ounce containers. The best seller was my Artichoke and Sausage soup. It is an unusual combination; one that I wouldn't have thought on my own. As I was leaving the Lake, I received a request for 4 containers of the soup from one family. Hope you enjoy the soup as much as we do.

Artichoke Sausage Soup

2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS olive oil
1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
2 14 oz cans artichoke hearts, drained
3 14 oz cans Italian plum tomatoes
3-4 c rich beef broth ( or more depending how you like your soup)
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
½ tsp Italian seasonings
1 TBS chopped fresh oregano (can use dried)
1 TBS chopped fresh basil (can use dry)
Freshly ground pepper
Fresh chopped parsley

Saute onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until transparent. Brown sausage in separate pan, Drain. In soup pot, combine meat and vegetable mixture, artichoke hearts, tomatoes and beef broth. Simmer for 30 minutes. May be made a day ahead. Fifteen minutes before serving add balsamic vinegar, Italian seasonings, oregano and basil. Garnish with parsley and pass the pepper mill.

No comments:

Post a Comment