Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Tale of a Christening Gown







Towards the end of my time up north, our son's girlfriend Haley asked if would make and smock a christening gown for her sister's baby who was due the end of October. That's an opportunity that any smocker would love to have. I was in a dilemma - the timing wasn't good for me. I was in the process of going back to Virginia, less than a month later our daughter Lisa was getting married and then 2 days after that I was leaving for Atlanta for the smocking convention. After spending some time talking with Haley and thinking about what I could do that would alleviate any stress on me, I proposed a solution. My friend and fellow smocker/sewer Judy from Alabama would sew the gown for me and I would smock it. Haley jumped on it and thought it was a great solution - after all I would STILL be smocking it and it would STILL be handmade and become an heirloom. Judy and I conferred about the design, a basic square yoke dress, and the size, able to fit a newborn. It would be made out of a drapeable silk with insertion laces and entredeux. There would be smocking on the short sleeves and mother of pearl buttons on the back. We ordered the fabric from Jan at http://www.bessiemary.com/ in Texas who was such an immense help with her suggestions for fabric (which we purchased from her) as well as the laces. She shipped it off to Judy and then Judy began sewing. As she was sewing, I was helping to finish up last minute details for the wedding. It was finished and mailed to me just before the wedding. I was able to bring it with me to show Haley and her parents, although still unsmocked at this point. When I returned from Atlanta, the smocking began. The silk was ivory in color and I smocked in tone on tone with a goldish color for accent, very rich looking and gender neutral. Finished it up, mailed it to parents and received the day before she went into labor. Mother, grandmother and aunt were ecstatic and loved it. Can't wait to see pictures of the still unborn baby in the gown. News flash----baby boy born Nov. 2nd at almost 10 pounds!!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks again Jane. Its so beautiful and I cannot wait to see my adorable little newphew, Freeman Maris Jackson (they'll call him Marius after my grandfather) in the outfit. He is a big boy...10 pounds...so will have no problem filling it out :)

    Thanks again, we'll be sure to send plenty of photos of him modeling it on the big day!!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. That look's beautiful! Haley will absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful. You did a great job and put on a wedding too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful!!! What a wonderful gift to give and receive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This certainly has become a family heirloom for us...thanks SO much again Jane. It is so beautiful - and made with love. What more could we ask for?! You are so talented...Love Natalie, Freeman, and Marius Jackson

    ReplyDelete